Sunday, August 7, 2011

Odessa Tumbleweed Triathlon

Day 2 in the Midland/Odessa triathlon saga. First to transition area again. Getting to be a bad habit. This triathlon was held on the UT Permian Basin campus. Was setting up my bike when Bobby and Brooks showed up and sat up right next to me. Great guys and Bobby is a consummate professional who stirs my feelings of inadequacy as I watch him "warm up" at a pace I can only dream of. Brooks is always a very positive influence and all around great guy who is humbly lightning fast.

I was surprised to find that I wasn't that sore despite having done the tri the day before in the heat in Midland. My back was spasming a little in the morning so was a little concerned about that. Warmed up a with a little jog and back spasms went away.  Swim start was a cluster mess but there was only 70 or so athletes in a 50 meter pool so it all worked out. Felt better on the swim today and came in for the 400 meters in 8:52. Went out on the bike and felt good there. Was looking for Jason McClure who had beat me by 2 1/2 minutes the day before.  Somehow he must've started the swim behind me because I didn't see him until I made the turn on the bike and he was trailing me by 1/4-1/2 mile. Started cranking as if John Gardea was chasing me.  Finished the 20K in 36:21 for a 21.2 mph average (yeah boy!) and hit the ground running.

5K is a flat out and back. Felt much better on the run than yesterday because it wasn't a million degrees and had mile splits of 8:30, 8:38 and 8:02. Saw Jason just after turnaround point again on run but had no idea how much after me he had started his swim. He told me I was looking good on the run which just goes to show what a class act he is and triathletes in general.  I finished the run and then started my watch again to see how far he was behind me.  I finished in 1:13:37 and Jason in 1:16:34, so 1st place in Clydesdale!

All in all, very well run triathlon other than the sloppy swim start. Bobby had a little bit of misfortune in that there were some speed bumps as you exited the campus. Bobby was looking down at his computer and didn't see the speed bump and had a minor wreck. He was still fast enough even with a wreck to come in 2nd overall in 57:16, only :37 seconds from winning. Some kind of stud.

My man Brooks was 9th overall in 1:05:09 and came in 2nd in his age group.  Ashley Petry and her dad Darrel Petry were also there and did awesome.

Bob Carlson said I probably owed by 4 minute improvement in one day in my 5K time to something called race effect. I don't know what it was but I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment