Thursday, March 17, 2011

Gadsden 5K report and upcoming race musings

Can you tell I'm at home watching NCAA b'ball? 3 posts in one day when I haven't posted in over a month. My wife says I'm incapable of doing just one thing at a time and I'm beginning to believe her. The reason I started posting again is because I got a message from my brother Craig that humbled me. I had no idea anyone was reading my blog except for my wife, who is contractually obligated to be excited about just anything I do.  Apparently Craig has been reading my blog and it inspired him to start a diet and exercise regimen.  Craig is a big dude who has had major knee problems.  It makes me feel really good that my little journey/midlife crisis has positively affected others, especially my "baby" brother.  Craig if you're reading this, I love you and couldn't be more proud that you're taking control of your life. Keep it up! Don't overdo it, don't get discouraged, and just take it slow. Exercise has to be part of your life just like sleeping, eating, and working or it will go to the wayside.

I did the 2nd Annual for the Love of Books 5K at Gadsden Middle School on March 12.  This was a special treat for me because it's exactly 14 miles from my house on backroads and didn't start until 9 so I met Gretchen at 8 and we rode out there, did the race, hopped back on our bikes and rode back.  Felt very triathlete-like riding up to the race, finishing, and then riding away.  Downside was Gretchen was there and since she wasn't running the race, she came up with the idea of pacing me on her bike.  Whoops.

First mile was 6:37, 2nd 7:05, last 7:23 - overall time 21:09 - new PR baby!  She wanted me to "kick" last half mile to keep up with this little old dude and I really, really wanted to "kick." Didn't happen.  That little old dude beat me by :24 seconds and that little old dude was only 48. So I got 2nd in my age group, 7th overall. My time would've won my age group in Austin by a full minute but in the racing El Paso corridor, not so much.  Good training day altogether but I've got to figure out if I'm pushing myself hard enough.  I think that I am but I guess you never know until somebody has to leave on a stretcher.

Next race is the Sully Super Sprint Triathlon in Alpine at Sul Ross University.  I did it last year and it was my first official triathlon. I did it in 1:33 last year and hope to improve that by 9-10 minutes. I'll let you know.

1 comment: